The cause of excess weight is often not only malnutrition. In the female body, about 70% of the hormones are responsible for the normal functioning of all organ systems and tissues. If the level of some of them rises or falls, a hormonal malfunction occurs. The result of an imbalance is excess weight, which is rapidly increasing. In addition, it is difficult to correct, even with proper nutrition and regular training. In this case, a special integrated approach is needed for weight loss.
What is hormonal failure
In medicine, this is a hormonal dysfunction that is associated with a malfunction of the neuroregulatory and endocrine systems. Previously, this concept was understood only as pathology in women, the clinical manifestation of which was a menstrual cycle failure. Then it began to be applied to men. Endocrine and neuroregulatory systems have a decisive effect on the adrenal glands of the thyroid and pancreas, ovaries. The psychological state, appearance and body weight also depend on the hormonal background.
Most hormonal disorders are associated with the reproductive system, which works under the influence of sex hormones. Their decrease or increase is not only responsible for the ability to bear children. These hormones affect the state of the body as a whole. The hormonal background of a woman is controlled by the cerebral cortex. One of the subcortical structures is responsible for the work of the entire endocrine system. It is called the hypothalamus. This structure gives commands to the endocrine gland – the pituitary gland, which secretes three main hormones:
- follicle-stimulating (stimulates the production of estrogen and egg maturation);
- luteinizing, under the influence of which ovulation occurs, i.e. the egg leaves the ovary, and progesterone begins to be produced;
- prolactin, stimulating the secretion of human milk.
The ovaries produce progesterone and estrogen. The indicated system steps are interconnected. If the amount of one hormone decreases, the secretion of another increases. For this reason, violations are a very complex pathology that requires identifying the cause and prescribing the right treatment. At the stage of diagnosis, the doctor can determine the following types of failures:
- Amenorrhea. This is the name of the absence of menstruation in women of reproductive age (from 16 to 45 years). It happens primary when menstruation has never been in my life, and secondary, which is associated with a lack of sex hormones. The latter species is more often observed in infertility due to the lack of ovulation or impaired puberty.
- Pregnancy and childbirth. Failure in this period is observed in all women. The imbalance persists from the moment of conception up to childbirth. After the birth of a baby, the hormonal background should be restored, but this does not occur in everyone.
- Oligomenorrhea. This is a violation of menstrual function, in which the duration of bleeding is less than 3 days. One of the reasons for this phenomenon is ovarian dysfunction due to improper functioning of the pituitary and hypothalamus.
- Premenstrual syndrome. It occurs 2-10 days before the onset of menstruation. The reason is an increase in estrogen secretion. This leads to tearfulness, irritability, apathy, sudden changes in mood, swelling, headaches, aggressiveness.
- Climax. Represents a decrease in the number of sex hormones in women older than 45 years. This causes menopausal syndrome: throbbing headaches, sudden mood swings, heart attacks, unstable blood pressure.
Weight gain with hormonal failure
The human body specifically refers to dietary restrictions. If previously a woman was eating, eating a large amount of food, then her body remembers this. The body perceives a decrease in food intake as stress, so it begins to make reserves. Even if a person begins to eat less, the weight is still worth it. The reason is that hormones, which are a kind of defender of the body, have already slowed down the metabolism and started sending fats to stores. This happens not only with malnutrition, but also with diseases associated with hormonal imbalance.
There are common causes of weight gain during hormonal failure. They generally increase the risk of obesity. These factors include:
- systematic drinking and smoking;
- prolonged exposure to stress;
- genetic predisposition;
- gynecological diseases;
- lack of physical activity or excessive training;
- poor nutrition;
- lack of sleep;
- uncontrolled intake of hormonal drugs;
- transferred viral or infectious diseases, for example, influenza, acute respiratory viral infections, syphilis, etc.
More precisely, the cause of excess weight can be determined by its location. Depending on the excess or deficiency of a particular hormone, fat accumulates in a specific area of the body:
- On the chest and upper back. The reason is an excess of prolactin. It prepares the female body for lactation after pregnancy. This leads to increased appetite, disruption of the menstrual cycle, swelling.
- In the waist area. The reason is an imbalance in thyroid hormones. Signs are constant fatigue and lethargy, decreased performance. Puffy cheeks are a striking symptom.
- In the buttocks and thighs. The reason is a lack of estrogen. A woman becomes irritable, notes mood swings, forgetfulness. A complication is serious problems with the reproductive system.
What hormones make women fat
Weight gain or weight loss depends on the activity of different hormones. Each of them in its own way affects the body, affecting metabolism, appetite, the occurrence of a sudden desire to eat or the formation of fat mass. Overweight problems are caused by the hormones below:
1. Leptin. It is responsible for the person’s feeling that he is already full. If its level is reduced, the brain sends a signal to a person that he needs to urgently eat something. In the body of overweight people, sensitivity to leptin decreases, so they have its level 10 times higher than normal.
2. Estrogen. The sex hormone of women. Responsible for the condition of hair, skin, nails, libido and balance of character. With a lack of excess weight. A sign is an increase in cravings for sweets and pastries.
3. Adrenalin. With its release, the appetite decreases, the metabolism accelerates, and fat begins to break down. Due to the high weight, the ability to secretion of adrenaline is reduced.
4. Insulin. Regulates the level of sugar (glucose) in the blood. Under the influence of insulin, excess sugar turns into fat deposits.
5. Thyroid (thyroxine, triiodothyronine). Necessary for normal growth and development, help the body generate heat. With their deficiency, thyroid dysfunction develops, which leads to weight gain.
6. Testosterone. This is a male hormone, but in a small amount it is also present in the body of women. Testosterone is responsible for using fat cells as fuel for building muscle mass. During menopause, its amount is reduced by 2 times, so the weight is gaining faster.
7. Progesterone. It affects the development of the fetus during pregnancy, ensures the absence of congenital malformations, stops menstruation after conception. With an excess, it puts the body into a state, as during pregnancy. There is an increase in fat stores, reduced resistance to sugar intake.
8. Ghrelin. Sends a signal of hunger to the brain. Fructose enhances the secretion of this hormone, so when eating sweets, the appetite increases.
9. Endorphins. Hormones of happiness. They are produced by the pituitary gland, increase the feeling of satisfaction and self-confidence, provide a quiet deep sleep. With a lack of endorphins, a person tries to get them out of sweets, which provoke an increase in appetite and overeating.
10. Cortisol. Stress hormone. It is produced by the adrenal glands, close to adrenaline. It is part of the protective mechanism in the body. Cortisol is able to reduce metabolism and increase appetite in stressful situations in order to protect the body.
Is it possible to lose weight with hormonal failure
Regardless of the reason for gaining weight for weight loss, it is necessary to exclude risk factors for obesity. Their list includes the following:
- inferior sleep;
- excessive load;
- bad habits;
- an abundance of fast carbohydrates, sweets, smoked products, sausages, food with preservatives;
- infections (flu, SARS);
- taking hormonal drugs, including contraceptives.
Women are prone to a set of extra pounds during puberty, pregnancy, menopause. At this time, you need to especially closely monitor your weight, completely eliminating the listed risk factors from your life. Effective Weight Loss Conditions:
- an appeal to an endocrinologist to determine the level of hormones, determine the cause of excess weight and make a diagnosis;
- revision of nutrition towards a well-balanced balanced diet with optimal proportions of nutrients;
- the use of vitamin and mineral complexes with copper, potassium, selenium, zinc, lipoic acid;
- switching to a diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, berries, legumes, fiber;
- replace sweets with dried fruits, use only whole grain bread;
- menu selection with the help of a nutritionist;
- taking hormonal drugs exclusively as directed by a doctor.
How to lose weight after a hormonal failure
Determining the medication necessary for each woman and its dosage is a matter exclusively for a specialist. With different types of failures, drug therapy will be different. The doctor prescribes antipsychotics, iodine, potassium, zinc, etc. preparations. If you take the wrong medicine, you can only aggravate the situation. In addition to drug therapy, there are other methods:
- Diet. Assumes fractional nutrition with the norm of nutrients.
- Regular physical activity. A particular sport is chosen based on the initial weight. If it is too large, then you need to start with gentle loads.
- Folk remedies. Some herbal recipes also help to lose weight. Herbs with a lot of phytoestrogens, such as linden, hops, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkins, grapes, are effective.
Hormone failure diet
The diet should not be too low in calories. This leads to even greater weight gain. A balanced diet with hormonal failure in women helps to lose weight. It can be a metabolic or zinc-selenium diet. The last two are aimed at accelerating the metabolism and making up for the deficiency of certain trace elements. Each hormonal diet for weight loss has a number of rules, a list of prohibited and recommended products.
If it is difficult to adhere to a specific diet, then you can just eat only permitted and conditionally prohibited foods. In addition to them, hormonal nutrition also has a list of foods that must be completely excluded from the diet. Conditionally prohibited are those products that are recommended to be sharply limited in order to lose weight. Their list includes:
- condensed milk;
- sweet packaged juices;
- canned food in oil;
- soft drinks;
- high-fat milk and dairy products;
- white bread;
Zinc Selenium Diet
With insufficient production or absence of sex hormones, a zinc-selenium diet is recommended. It is especially effective at the age of 14-16 years, when menstruation was not yet. Such a diet for hormonal failure in women is based on the use of products containing selenium and zinc. They regulate the secretion of sex hormones. With a lack of zinc and selenium, the sexual activity of women decreases, the menstrual cycle is disrupted.
There are no special instructions for the diet. The main condition is the use of food containing these trace elements. Zinc is found in the following products:
- germinated wheat grains;
- squids, mussels, shellfish and other seafood;
- black currant;
- Pine nuts;
- peanuts, almonds;
- oats and oatmeal;
- pumpkin seeds;
- liver of animals.
In medicine, metabolism is the metabolism in the body and their conversion into energy. The higher his speed, the faster a person can lose weight. Fat-burning hormones are produced in the body, such as norepinephrine, testosterone, adrenaline, and fat-saving, including estrogen, insulin. The essence of the metabolic diet is to increase the production of the former and inhibition of secretion of the latter. She divides all products into categories with a certain value from 0 to 4. Losing weight using this technique can be done in 3 stages:
- The first, or active burning of fats. Lasts 3 weeks. Consumes only zero-value foods with a low glycemic index.
- The second, or stable burning. The menu for the day should not exceed 9 points: breakfast – 4, lunch – 2, lunch – 2, afternoon tea – 1, dinner – 0.
- The third, or binding. Gradually, one point is added to each meal. When body weight is fixed at one mark, you can eat according to the resulting scheme constantly.
The longest phase of the diet is the second. It can be observed for as long as you like. At first it will be difficult to calculate points, but judging by the reviews of women, in the future it is even interesting.
The way a woman to lose weight with a hormonal failure using a diet is not so effective. The body will not take on attractive forms. In addition, gymnastics not only strengthens the body, but also helps to burn fat more actively. Training should not be overly exhausting, because it also provokes hormonal disruptions. Walking in the fresh air, swimming, yoga, walking at a fast pace, easy jogging will help you lose weight. These types of loads do not load the joints. Next, it is worth adding weight training to cardio loads. After them, it is useful to visit the bathhouse or sauna.