How many women are troubled by the smell in the intimate area, the sensation of moisture. There are problems in sex, it becomes impossible to visit the pool and gym. In women, complexes and limitations appear. They cease to enjoy the holidays, do not go to theaters and parties. There is a threat to relationships with a beloved man. Meanwhile, discharges in women with an unpleasant odor are symptoms of diseases that can be treated. It is necessary to timely appear to the gynecologist, undergo an examination, find out the causes and solve these problems.
Causes of unpleasant odor from the vagina
The female vagina has its own microflora, which does not have a pungent odor. The alarm should be sounded if it suddenly changed. An unpleasant smell in an intimate place appears for various reasons. It could be:
- bacterial vaginosis: appears due to the sharp growth of its own microorganisms;
- thrush: caused by the rapid multiplication of fungi;
- trichomoniasis: an infection that is transmitted through sexual intercourse;
- inflammation of the vaginal mucosa;
- hormonal disorders;
- cancer of the vagina, cervix;
- the use of contraceptives;
- poor daily hygiene.
What vaginal discharge is considered normal
The female body is individual, specific and vaginal discharge. Many factors affect their number, color: age, medication, health problems, pregnancy. A healthy norm is the discharge:
- cream, white: after sex with a condom;
- plentiful, liquid: in the morning, if an unprotected sexual intercourse is performed at night;
- transparent, white: immediately after sex without protection;
- light, color like milk, viscous: during pregnancy;
- pink anemone: after childbirth, cesarean section;
- brown: in the first months from the start of birth control.
Among the normal include discharge associated with menstruation:
- transparent, mucous – in the middle of the menstrual cycle, before ovulation.
- insignificant, jelly-like – in the second part of the cycle.
- creamy, plentiful – at the end of menstruation.
- scarlet, with blood – during menstruation.
- dark or brown in color – within two days after menstruation.
Do not worry if you have vaginal discharge when they:
- in the form of transparent mucus;
- don’t have a pronounced smell;
- thick consistency;
- in a small amount;
- not accompanied by pain from the lower abdomen;
- don’t irritate the mucous membrane;
- don’t cause genital itching;
- don’t cause fever.
What diseases are discharges with an unpleasant odor indicate?
If there are unpleasant odors in the intimate area, an urgent visit to the doctor is necessary, as these are symptoms of diseases that have serious consequences. If the diagnosis is made on time, the doctor will prescribe the right treatment, leading to recovery. What diseases are we talking about? Among them:
- delay, menstrual irregularities;
- ectopic pregnancy;
- obstruction of pipes;
One of the common ones is vaginal dysbiosis, or gardnerellosis. It is characterized by a strong smell of fish, itching, burning and the appearance of viscous mucus of a greenish-yellow hue. For treatment use gels, creams, tablets. Fungal disease candidiasis, or thrush, is symptomatic. This is a curd of consistency with the smell of onions, garlic, or sometimes they smell like sour kefir. There is a disease with an ammonia odor. It intensifies during intercourse. Both partners are treated with antifungal medications.
What other problems may be with similar symptoms:
- Colpitis – inflammation of the vaginal mucosa, has various forms and symptoms of the disease. Often there is discomfort during sex, cutting pains, increased secretions in the form of mucus and pus, impaired urination. For treatment, candles, gels and antibiotics in the form of tablets are used.
- Postpartum copious discharge with a specific putrefactive odor indicates inflammation. Doctors at the hospital carefully monitor these symptoms.
- Abundant transparent discharge in women, if they are colorless, can talk about inflammation of the appendages, diseases of the cervix. It is worth visiting a doctor to establish an accurate diagnosis.
- Very often, the cause of an unpleasant odor in the intimate area is sexually transmitted diseases. These include chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis. All of them can have serious consequences. However, if the venereologist undergoes treatment in time, the disease will recede.
If white discharge with an odor appears in the intimate area, this is a sign of thrush. Often they come in the form of a film or resemble cottage cheese in appearance. This disease is also found in women who do not live sexually. Sometimes white discharge with the smell of fish appears with bacterial vaginosis. To prescribe the treatment correctly, the gynecologist must take a smear.
Yellow discharge indicates an infection in the vagina or uterus. If they are thick, yellow-green in color, then the causative agent of the infection is gonococcus. The disease is accompanied by itching and an unpleasant burning sensation in the genital area. If such symptoms appeared after sex without protection, it is urgent to see a doctor. Sexual infections, such as trichomoniasis, also have a foamy structure. When purulent diseases occur, the appearance of yellow discharge is accompanied by an increase in the number of white blood cells in the blood.
If a woman has an abortion or has had a difficult birth, there is a risk of developing inflammation caused by staphylococci, streptococci – endometritis and adnexitis. Their symptoms are yellow discharge. When thrush is characteristic sour smell, the consistency of cottage cheese. When a woman has yellow discharge between menstruation, this indicates the likelihood of inflammation in the fallopian tubes or ovaries. The process is accompanied by severe pain from the lower abdomen.
One of the main reasons for the appearance of such secretions is inflammation of the organs responsible for reproduction: ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix, vagina. More often these diseases are transmitted during sex, are associated with a decrease in immunity, poor ecology, and non-observance of intimate hygiene. The color and nature of purulent discharge depends on the type of infection that led to inflammation. They are thick and white-yellow in color with purulent vaginitis. With Trichomonas, it is greenish-yellow, in the form of a foam.
In the female body, in the microflora of the vagina, there is constantly a fungus of the genus Candida, which helps to maintain constant acidity. When its number increases sharply, a disease of thrush occurs, which is accompanied by cheesy discharge. In addition, sleep disturbances, burning and itching occur, and urine painfully comes out. A white coating appears in the vagina. There are several reasons for this disease:
- decreased immunity;
- environmental impact;
- hormonal disruptions;
- use of synthetics.
If a woman, in addition to thrush, is diagnosed with cervical erosion, curdled discharge turns pink because fresh blood is released. Another thing is when along the way there are violations of the hormonal background. Brown color appears due to impurities of coagulated blood. Curdled green discharge is formed during purulent genital infections. Look at the photo. This is how white discharge with thrush looks.
Foamy and thick
Foamy, thick discharge indicates the body’s reaction to trichomoniasis. Men do not have this disease, but they become carriers of it during intercourse. Sometimes it arises due to elementary non-compliance with hygiene rules. It is accompanied by severe pain from the lower abdomen, burning, frequent urination. Treated with special drugs.
Bloody: red or brown
The color of these secretions is associated with the presence of blood in their composition. Before menstruation, brown discharge signals the onset of endometriosis, hormonal disorders. In the middle of the cycle, they are signs of polycystic ovary syndrome, which causes infertility. In the last days of menstruation, they can turn dark brown, sometimes black, with blood clots. This suggests the possibility of chlamydia and herpes. Brown discharge after menstruation signals the threat of an ectopic pregnancy.
Discharges of red or scarlet color indicate erosion of the cervix, if they started a few days before menstruation. During pregnancy – signal placental abruption. There is a threat of abortion. If the discharge appears after intercourse, this signals that the woman has microcracks in the vagina or erosion of the cervix.
Which doctor to contact
Depending on the symptoms of the disease, in which an unpleasant odor appears from the vagina, you should contact different specialists. If itching, watery mucous discharge, burning associated with sexual intercourse, it is necessary to visit a venereologist. He will also help with purulent vaginal discharge, which is accompanied by profuse urination. The doctor will prescribe tests if you suspect that you have contracted sexually transmitted diseases after intercourse without protection. According to the results of the examination, treatment is prescribed.
You should visit the gynecology department in other cases. Discharge in women with unpleasant odors is often associated with physiological processes occurring in the body. Menstrual irregularities, inflammatory processes in the uterus and vagina, the presence of tumors, complications during pregnancy are an occasion to visit a gynecologist. Only he, having done all the tests, will determine the cause of the disease and prescribe the correct treatment.